AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do when you don't know what to do???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleidia
Secretary
Secretary

28 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: What to do when you don't know what to do??? Reply with quote

That's my problem.

Although I'm a creative guy, I miserably fail to find out what sort of business I could possibly start.

I though I'd just have to make a list of things I can master and elaborate ideas from it but it didn't work as expected.

First of all, the list is very short ( English - French - Japanese - Expert Webdesigner ).

The second problem is that, with those cards in hand, I can't seem to find a business idea different from the "I do sites for you" scheme ( which I already do ).

So, I'm wondering : are there solutions that could help me to discover a new and different way to use my talents? Are there people who could help me to "see the light"?

Well ... I'm curious to hear your thoughts about that.
the_next_round
Executive
Executive

204 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there mate Cool

Theres so many businesses you could start, do you have any start up cash? Do you have any strong interests that you would like a career in?

Matt Cool
sleidia
Secretary
Secretary

28 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt Smile

Yeah, I have some cash although I'm quite reluctant to use it Smile
As for my interests, basically, I would love to travel and meet people.

I'm curious to hear what you can come up with Smile

Thanks for your input !
the_next_round
Executive
Executive

204 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM on the way to you! Laughing
Joyous
PA
PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight - you speak English, French and Japanese, you're an expert webmaster and yet you're stuck for ideas?

Have you any idea the advantages that you have by being tri-lingual? Translation services are the obvious thing that jump out at me. Combine that with your webmaster abilities and you can offer a service translating websites. The quality of translation offered by sites such as babelfish is really basic so you can presumably offer a more bespoke service.

What about approaching some French or Japanese startups/small businesses and offering to create an English version of their websites thus opening them up to a wider audience.

The possibilities are endless!

Regards

Joy
sleidia
Secretary
Secretary

28 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joyous Smile

Well, I think that translation businesses are already all over the place. And since automated translation systems will become far better in quality in the near future, this sort of business looks like a dead end to me.

Furthermore, I know by experience that it's useless to translate a website in a language the owner of the website can't handle because he would have to deal with mail requests in a foreign language, which he couldn't do.

Lastly, I would love to do a business that would make me travel and meet people.
But still, I fail to put all the pieces of this puzzle together.

Thanks for your message.
Cheers
IdeasInInk
Secretary
Secretary

23 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could adapt the English version of the site, but he would also be able to view orders etc in the original form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rspadi
Secretary
Secretary

35 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time for brainstorming a profitable idea. The time you spend upfront will determine the future success of your business.

As a small business guy, it's best to find a very narrow niche with good demand and low profitability - this will give you a good chance to dominate your market and drive lots of traffic from the free SE's.

When looking for a niche, think about for what kind of problems you can provide a solution. Look right in front of you, think outside the box - what difficulties did you overcome? You speak 3 languages? Maybe you could create a site that teaches people how to learn foreign languages effectively...

Brainstorm as many topics as possible and verify the demand with the Ouverture Keyword suggestion tool (now Yahoo Search!). You can also download a free copy of "The Affiliate Masters Course" from my website (look under free downloads) - The first 4 chapters discuss how to find a narrow, yet profitable niche. There are also many links in the ebook for different research tools (like Ouverture Keyword Tool...)

Good luck with your project and don't forget, the first steps are the most important ones. Smile
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humandesigner wrote:
Furthermore, I know by experience that it's useless to translate a website in a language the owner of the website can't handle because he would have to deal with mail requests in a foreign language, which he couldn't do.

Bingo.

Have you considered applying for a job with a travel magazine to write articles or take pictures? Sounds like you really want to travel. How about a job with a cruise line or airline? Being multi-lingual should be a help in attaining transcontinental service jobs I would think.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humandesigner wrote:

Welcome to the world of order process translation. You have just discovered your niche. The enquiry comes to you, you translate it, and become the middleman. You charge for the initial design/translation, then you also charge for each translation, o better still work on a retainer basis .
sleidia
Secretary
Secretary

28 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again everyone ! Smile

First I would like to thank you very much for taking time to provide ideas and advices.

Old Welsh Guy wrote:

Welcome to the world of order process translation. You have just discovered your niche. ....

Well, I already thought about that idea a few weeks ago and I've propsed such a service to two companies for a start. The idea wasn't received very well. It has become clear that companies don't trust individuals because they fear the fact that an individual could mess up with their clients when a larger company would be more trustable.

rspadi wrote:
...As a small business guy, it's best to find a very narrow niche with good demand and low profitability...

rspadi, I think you're totally right concerning the need to concentrate on niche markets instead of concepts that can be taken care of by larger companies. As you probably know, services such as translation, websites redesign, etc... are services that produce very high expectations/standards from the customer point of view. What I'm trying to say is that customers of such services are more likely to use a service if it's provided by a large and well known company (who hires freelances anyway). Lastly the competition is very tough in such sectors of activity.

Anyway, I kept thinking about this issue and, pardon me if I'm wrong, it become an evidence that I would have to sell either rare goods or a specific service you would call a "niche".

I have strictly no idea concerning the sort of goods I could sell online but it is possible that I've found a valuable service to provide. Basically, the idea is to search/dig difficult-to-find-information about France, the country where I reside. As a foreigner, I know by experience that it is difficult to gather information efficiently from another country. Let's say you want to open a branch office in France, you want to sell products to a French audience, you want to find a property in France, you want to prepare you next trip to France... etc. In all those cases, I it might be of a great help to have an individual take care of everything on your behalf.

So, what do you think about the idea? What are the drawbacks I didn't think about? Have you better ideas?

Thanks again! Smile
Gian
Secretary
Secretary

22 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Humandesigner,

I have just been in your country for a short week of relax in Corse.
Why don't you think of building a website about all the french holidays places in english and japanese for tourists from those big countries?
You could charge a yearly fee to the advertisers.
Or you could think of somethign similar to bring customers from abroad to french businesses.

Good luck

Gian L.
sleidia
Secretary
Secretary

28 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gian Smile

My whole family is from Corse, so I hope you enjoyed it a lot despite the fact that the guys over there have the very bad habit to double all their prices during summer time Sad

Concerning your idea, I'm under the impression that that sort of business is legion already and operated by large companies that have the money for their promotion. As an individual, managing to rank well in search engines with such a business would be very tricky. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic? What do you think?

Thanks for your input BTW ! Smile

Cheers
Gian
Secretary
Secretary

22 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Humandesigner,

thanks for your reply.
I visited Corse other times and always loved it.
About the idea I suggested, surely big companies aer advantaged, but they also want to be paid well. You could start with a basic service and lower fees.
About the search engines, if you provide good and valuable content you could have good rankings more easily than with a generic site.

Good luck

Gian
andy_copland
Executive PA
Executive PA

63 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is fair to point out that very few people have completely unique ideas. lastminute.com wasn't unique, amazon wasn't unique, my business definitely isn't unique!

What is different is how you approach the problem and how you run your business. in this you are free to be as innovative as you like!

Large companies can be very inefficient, and can be very cumbersome in responding to client requests. As a micro business you have the ability to bring an agile more focused service to your clients.

Have you thought about providing translation services to local councils? Their websites need to be multilingual.

How many cities/towns have twinned with French or Japanese towns/cities? Would they like a natural language section of their site?

Just a few thoughts Smile

Andy
PS I just remembered an awful problem for people with a unique business - nobody understands what you do! Talk about a marketing nightmare!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum