AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do most people work from home?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogga
Temp

1 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Do most people work from home? Reply with quote

Just curious,
Being self-employed, working online from home is just the most amazing thing in the world.
No public transport to battle with, amongst many other perks.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mogga,

I used to, but don't any longer (well, that's not strictly true because I do continue once I get home). I find it's good to separate my office from home for a number of reasons. I'm lucky, though; I also don't have to commute, etc. It's simply a 5 minute walk from my house, through a park, and then I'm at work...!

Paul
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work from home and I wouldn't want it any other way. I absolutely adore it. I do actually get out once or twice a week though to run training courses, but that just reinforces the enjoyment that I get for the days I'm spending at home.

Of course it has its disadvantages, but they are few and far between.

Phil.
lauren
Temp

1 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some figures I found:

"More than 48 million homeworkers are currently employed or seeking homebased employment. This number is expected to grow to 100 million by the year 2005." (source: http://www.intlhomeworkers.com/future_of_work.htm)

Personally, working from home really suits my work style. Setting my own hours and running things my way is fantastic. A 30-second commute, no noisy coworkers, and I can "stop and smell the roses" whenever I want, as the flowerpots are just outside Laughing

Cheers,

Lauren.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is an alarming increase although I'm surprised the total worldwide isn't already higher than that... I wonder how they arrived at the figures...

Paul
SEO
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do most of my work from home, disadvantage is you tend to work 20hrs a day, every day. Here I am on a sunny Sunday afternoon working again!!

David
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I work from home... and I love it! Smile
funguy
Temp

1 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work from home, and at first it was a great change, but now I'm thinking about trading homes to work in with a friend of mine who also works from home, just so that I get out of the house. I would also like some more social interaction, but I'm pretty productive without it
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to David and funguy! Very Happy

Now, here's where working at home gets tough. This week, teenage son home with strep throat. Kids have a tough time, differentiating between mom-at-home and mom-at-work. Razz

This week has been very frustrating, for example. To do my web work, I need large and uninterrupted blocks of time. (That might just be me, though, because I'm sort of a sequential thinker that gets easily distracted.) I haven't been able to count on these blocks of time, this week.

Even when I get them, I don't realize that I had one, until 4 hours later, when I say, "Hey, it's been 4 hours! I could've gotten a lot of work done!" But, of course, I didn't get substantial work done, because I was constantly waiting for that "other shoe to drop." (Read: Son comes into office and starts an argument, because I won't drive him to the mall, while he's recovering from strep throat. Or he insists that there's "nothing" to eat in the house, and I need to "do something about it.") Confused

Okay, I've got to go put in more laundry.
See you all later. Laughing
DarrenC
Vice President
Vice President

439 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run the business at home.. that's where it all started, now I have a small office just outside of the city centre... which is just enough room for me and the few people that work on the website.

I am thinking though about running the business from home from January to cut costs down, there's no real advantage of working in an office with the exception it is nice to go home after a full day of running around like a maniac..

I only employ casual staff when it's busy .. like the Summer season and if I wanted any work doing and they were available I can just simply email them the work ..

... the joys of the internet!

Darren Smile
funguy
Temp

1 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually finding that I'm getting more work done at home outside of normal office hours. Like late nights when the house is quiet and the phone isn't likely to ring, so although I work from home, I'm living more like a student than ever Smile
mitz07
Secretary
Secretary

1 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Home working Reply with quote

It is a brilliant thing!!! Working at home gives you freedom to choose when to take a break, listen to music, spend time with your kids and above all, you choose when to work.
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Home working Reply with quote

mitz07 wrote:
... gives you freedom to choose when to... spend time with your kids...

Laughing I beg to differ on this point.
It's the kids who make that particular choice! Laughing Laughing Laughing
(See my September 12 post, above. Wink )
bevanrus99
Temp

1 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: I also work from home Reply with quote

I am only 20 years old and I work from home. I have been doing so for 2 years now and I love it. I wouldn't change it for the world. I had to search forever to find the right opportunity, but I finally found it and I am thankful. If you are wondering what I do visit my website at http://www.russellbevan.com and you can find out some more information. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working from home full time for over a year, and love it. Sure, there are days where I just want to give up my entepreneurial hat for something "more steady", but hey, those kind of days can be experienced even when working for the best employer in town.

As a few members here, I find that I get more work done at night, when I am able to concentrate on something without being interupted. I work better when I know the phone won't ring, or I won't get an urgent E-mail from someone. I try to leave my days to "admin", and evenings and nights often turn to bread and butter. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Working from Home Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum