AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is learning on the web becoming a part of our everyday life?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Is learning on the web becoming a part of our everyday life? Reply with quote

I run an online distance education forum and recently, one of members suggested to create an information learning environment in the forum. Not a bad idea. Whether I'll be creating such an environment or how I'll be doing it is a big question, but what I thought about was how the web is becoming our learning environment. For example, I learn a few things in this forum, how to promote my website, how to outsource to off-shore, how to work with your host company and so forth. Is learning on the web becoming a part of our everyday life? It probably is, but is it a daily routine for average people or for a selected group of people(heavy internet users)?
Thais
President
President

0 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure the net is becoming a learning environment! For almost anyone who has a home computer, which includes a huge percentage of the population these days.

I learn a tremendous amount of stuff just from various kinds of forums (like this one Smile ) and always seek answers on the net, rather than from books etc as I know the answer is there...somewhere. I can find information on the most obscure subjects. I don't know what I'd do without it now.

More & more people are realising this, students particularly, but just we ordinary folks too.

It is a selected group of people, of course - they have to be 'into' computers & have enquiring minds.

Thais
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about the use of forum as a learning environment in corporations and schools formally? Do you see that forum is being adapted like that? Is forum one of the most ideal learning environment? Is forum the next killer app of the internet(the first one was email) without our realizing it?
philipwhite
PA
PA

30 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums are great for help boards but you have to be a bit careful in how much faith you put in someone's post. A lot of schools use learning portals that have simple forums, chat engines, and places for notes, lesson plans, submitting assignments and so on.
Mauveduh
Executive PA
Executive PA

147 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really see the value in a forum used in a learning environment.

I just spent the afternoon with a major traditional curriculum developer for the US school system where I was being asked for opinions on creating a Web-based learning environment package. Somewhere close to the top of my list was using a forum in their package. That interactive element sets them apart from many packages. It also helps the student move ahead and not be stuck trying to figure out an element that they just don’t understand. Those answers also become a part of future content in answering questions for future users. You can train them to do a search for answers before they ask, just like in the tech forums. You have a growing knowledge base, and can really know your users as well as gain valuable insight from their feedback on what can improve your presentation.

I see this form of learning being incorporated more and more in our learning environment. With online learning in general, I suggested they get onboard or get left behind and that it was irresponsible for educators not to have a grasp on the use of technology when their students are weaned on it. The resistance to online education is still engrained in much of the administration of the traditional learning system here, but they are catching on out of necessity, though kicking and screaming.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you fully appreciate that you should not take forum posts as gospel, then I think the medium of online forums is an excellent way of learning. The support and resources provided through forums enables members not only to learn about a specific topic, but to even excel in it.

Paul
Mauveduh
Executive PA
Executive PA

147 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely. It's always our responsibility to sort through opininions and try to find the truth. If they were used in the educational system, they should also be heavily moderated.

The information I've gained from public forums really has provided an education for me in many areas. It gets frustrating sometimes sorting through a massive amount of posts to find relevant info but I've learned alot in that process too. I've also wasted countless hours looking. Smile
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've also wasted countless hours looking.

I wish forums(phpBB, vB, etc.) had better search functions. I certainly appreciate the work of phpBB developers and all, but it's far from being a complete product.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums are a great way of learning because its very informal and you get a wide range of opinions. Collecting those opinions together and aggregating them has been provided countless times to be a very accurate means of forming an opinion.

People learn very well from informal exchanges with other people and this is an area that companies have sought to tap into for many years. Forums are one way of achieving such ambitions. Video chat is another means of allowing tacit knowledge exchange.
english-test.net
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Interactive Online Forums Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'm glad to have found this forum with so many sophisticated people discussing interesting topics. Yes, I do agree - internet forums are an excellent way to exchange information and experiences, answer questions which raise new ones and motivate each other. That's why forums have to be an integral element of any e-learning or distance (online) learning system. However, I think a forum can not replace self-study activities. It's like in a traditional university where each students spends time to study information individually, to take notes, write down questions, draw conclusions etc. After a certain self-study interval the students get together to share their findings and get new assignments.
You see, when we leave school we are used to structure, organization and rules. A forum is very open, there are only some basic rules with no structure as to what you have to study.

To sum it up: I think an e-learning sytem is much more than a forum - it should provide interactive learning tools and materials first. Attached to these tools and materials which can be used by each student individually there should be a forum, where students can share their experiences, seek advice from a tutor, ask off-topic questions, meet friends and chill out - in a word, build a community. Hope this makes sense, let's continue our interesting conversation.
-=Hero Doug=-
Executive PA
Executive PA

68 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the web is not only a huge part of education now-a-days, but it's also becoming common knowledge how to create your own site and promote it.

The younger generations especially really seem to have a nack at using the net to it's full potential making it an incredible resource.
Shari
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Adding to forum is the new VOIP capabilities Reply with quote

Hello all,

I operate a small online learning community where I utilize a forum, private journaling and am now in the process of implementing a new VOIP Business conferencing system.

This will provide me with real time training, and interaction as well as the archival qualities that are so valuable in a forum.

In today's world, where we are constantly learning, I personally believe you need to use as many different forms as possible for communicating with your students.

The conferencing software I'm about to install is still in beta (not available for purchase for another month yet). I've been given permission to share free copies of it. If you have an interest, let me know with a forum reply and I'll send you the download link.

I can tell you that this will be affordable, and has so far been tested with up to 90 participants in a single room.

Where advertisng and pop art meet to create excitment on your homepage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key-Presentations
Secretary
Secretary

7 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Forums are great and.... Reply with quote

over time and continuous use will develop and become more dynamic. I am certainly a big advocate of the forums and the fact that we can share ideas in this form is fantastic! Smile
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forums can be a great place to learn but I think the ability to search out the information you want on the net is very imortant as well, otherwise you could be waiting for a response for hours when you could fiind the answer in 10 minutes.
internet
PA
PA

47 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! Forums are a good place to learn and exchange views. Online education is becoming a common tool for our daily life. Besides, with so much time constraint, having access to online education is an asset. I have found quality information on forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum