AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a point to instant degrees?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeH
President
President

747 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Is there a point to instant degrees? Reply with quote

In our business we regularly come across people with online degrees, diplomas etc. People buy qualifications on the internet in an attempt to get better jobs, promotions etc.

Is there any point in this? Any employer with a level of intelligence should be able to identify whether a degree is from an accredited university.

Mike.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, no. Complete waste of space.
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but sometimes these degrees are worth something, with most of them you dont just buy a degree, you have to sit a test, which gives a person who is self taught a chance to get a qualification and proove thier skill base.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Dempsey wrote:
True but sometimes these degrees are worth something, with most of them you dont just buy a degree, you have to sit a test, which gives a person who is self taught a chance to get a qualification and proove thier skill base.

The problem with sitting tests via distance learning is that you can have Mr Joe Bloggs subject genius sat next to you telling you the answers.

Fair enough, if you have to go to an independant testing centre as you do for CCNA's and other Cisco courses then this is more academically sound.
MikeH
President
President

747 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that there are distance learning courses that are reputable. I just struggle to believe that employers take these qualifications seriously.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the organisation behind them. If its Cisco or Microsoft then that gives instant clout to the qualification. If its someone you've never heard of then the reputation is likely to work against them.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-sfsgo wrote:
I appreciate that there are distance learning courses that are reputable. I just struggle to believe that employers take these qualifications seriously.

Some employees do, but I'd risk to say that most employers don't. If you manage to keep lying, you can probably get away.
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know if my degree is viewed as worthwhile, I did a BSc with the Open University in the UK, 8 Years of hard slog while I was working, all distance learning. Do companies out there accept it as a real degree?
For myself if someone comes with an OU degree I count it as a bonus over many universities as it shows they have the committment to getting things done, especially on the long term.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaddon wrote:
I would be interested to know if my degree is viewed as worthwhile, I did a BSc with the Open University in the UK, 8 Years of hard slog while I was working, all distance learning. Do companies out there accept it as a real degree?

It's a reputable university. Though I have an online education site and promote many online universities, many of them have not eared reputation yet. Nor do they have long proven history. So, to answer your question, I think your education background on your resume looks more than fine, but I'm not so sure if degrees from other online/distance universities look as good as one from Open University.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum