AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects with Photoshop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Graphic Design Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Effects with Photoshop Reply with quote

Hello all

There haven't been many posts relating to graphic design just yet, so I thought I'd share a little Photoshop exercise I did recently. This is a very basic tutorial on how to produce an image that mixes colour and black and white photography, to give a rather striking effect. If you're an advanced Photoshop user, then you needn't read on as it will all be obvious to you.

OK... let's kick off. Imagine that I have taken a photograph on my digital camera and successfully transferred it on to my PC. I then launch Photoshop, and click on File and then Open, and select the relevant image. In this case, I'm working with this shot:

With the image open, I clicked on Ctrl-A to select all. This puts a mask (dotted line) around the whole area. I then pressed Ctrl-C (to copy) and went to File, and then New. It brings up the image properties with the dimensions of the area I have just copied, and I change the characters of the new file from RGB to Grayscale.

This produces a copy of the image in black and white:

On this new image, I clicked on Ctrl-A to select all once more, and then pressed Ctrl-C (to copy). I can now close this black and white image (I do not need to save it). Underneath this window is my original colour image. By pressing Ctrl-V, I paste a copy of the black and white image over the colour one, as a separate layer. I want the black and white image to be the bottom layer, so I go to the layers palette and drag the layer beneath.

OK, so I now I have the colour image sitting on top of the white one. I now zoom in on the starfish (on the colour layer) and try to select the area that makes up the starfish. In my case, I primarily used the magic mask tool and the elliptical tool (to get the rounded edges of the starfish). Each time I selected an area, I hold down the shift key so that my new selection includes the selection already made. If I find that I select too much, I just undo the last action or go back in the history. Once I have the whole starfish selected, I inversed the selection and hit the delete key. This deletes all of the colour layer, except for the starfish.

There are possibly easier ways to do this but I just found it was a method that worked for me. You could equally use an eraser tool and gradually delete all the detail around the starfish, gradually exposing the black and white image beneath.

And the final result...? Here it is:

Might not be everyone's 'cup of tea' but at least shows an effect that's relatively simple to do with Photoshop. The same technique can be applied to a variety of scenarios. For example, if you have a picture of a product, but wish to remove the background that it sits on.

All this work was done with high res. originals of the images, so any imperfections in the work are pretty much unnoticeable at these smaller sizes.

Hope this is helpful/interesting to some of you.

Paul
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that is a basic one, but very powerful. I especially like this effect combined with the pencil filter: convert the grayscale image to pencil drawing (don't have the formula handy), and do the process... of course you'll want to make sure that the colour photo sections that you reveal are not at 100% oppacity... I think that is the way it goes. I used to play around a lot with that effect, but I think you guys will know what I mean even if I messed up my description. Smile
Hub-UK
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seem to have enough time to play aroiund with Photoshop - always rushing to get a job done.

One technique I quite often want (and have found easy to do in other software) is to turn a colour photo into a one colour photo such as sepia or blue. What is the easy way to do this?
www.kitchenskill.com
www.cookingholidays.co.uk
bytech
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using PaintShopPro, so I cannot comment on exact steps required in PS. However, in PSP the option is called "colorize"... Maybe this will help you locate something similar in PS.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

One way you could achieve this in Photoshop (and I doubt it's the "correct" way, but it works!) is to first turn your image into a B&W shot. This can be done as per above. Once you have done that, create a new layer above your original. Fill this entire area with colour that you want to use, using the paint bucket. Then change the layer opacity (which will no doubt be at 100% at first) to something like 10 or 20%. And hey presto... I think that will give the result you are looking for.

Hope this helps

Paul
Hub-UK
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bytech wrote:
I'm using PaintShopPro, so I cannot comment on exact steps required in PS. However, in PSP the option is called "colorize"... Maybe this will help you locate something similar in PS.

I remember doing it in Paintshop Pro and it was very easy which is why I was suprised to find no easy way to do it in Photoshop.
www.kitchenskill.com
www.cookingholidays.co.uk
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

The method I described should be very easy, although I'm not sure it's the easiest. When I find something that works, I tend to stick to it even if it's a little long-winded...

Paul
DCrx
Executive PA
Executive PA

97 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sepia toning a photo in Photoshop using adjustment layers (Hue/Saturation). This tutorial goes into fading the edges, essentially aging a photo as well.

Duotones can be similar to sepia tones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Graphic Design Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum