AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women starting businesses more and more
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Women starting businesses more and more Reply with quote

The role of entrepreneur has traditionally been a male one and statistically more men than women still choose to start their own business. However, increasing numbers of women are deciding to go it alone and the gender gap is narrowing every year.

Why do you think this is so? Is it merely changing times or is it because the internet is opening-up entrepreneurship to people that might previously have been unable to run a 9-5 business?

Aaron
carolblake1973
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women starting a business alone have it rough because male professionals keep pushing the idea that a man shuold be running the show. I know moer than one business where the woman has the business in the man's name to prevent hassle, and more than one where the owner is a woman but she sits back and makes the male managers do all the rough stuff. Very Happy
discountdomains
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Women in business Reply with quote

Mostly I think its a change of attitude and the fact the couples are getting married and having kids when they are older etc.

I got a lot of support from friends and family etc when I set up Discount Domains in 2002.

Clare
biznetwork
Temp

6 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Women into Business Reply with quote

In Wales there is a big push to encourage women to be more entrepreneurial and start their own businesses. There is so much support for them because they see women as a means to help increase the new business stock and hopefully have a positive effect on the long term employment difficulties in Wales. In addition, the drive towards improving the GDP of the Welsh economy may be aided by increasing the number of women running their own businesses. So if you make a call to a Leslie at Company X, do not assume that you will be talking to a male.
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron wrote:
... is it because the internet is opening-up entrepreneurship to people that might previously have been unable to run a 9-5 business?

I think the Internet has made mlm businesses more accessible to more people. Many women lack the business education necessary to see and understand the basic flaws in an mlm business plan. The mlm recruiters manipulate their emotions, enticing them that they'll bond with a close knit support group of other women, just like them, that will help them build their business, for example.

I'm actually putting together an article on the melaleuca mlm business, which I hope will help in the effort to educate people about this issue. I've found the emotional pressure and manipulation of mlm recruiters to be insidious.
Janeth
Executive PA
Executive PA

44 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that because I'm female it is easer for me to run by business then it would be if I was male. I know on a lot of forums I have male friends that look out for me. I do not feel like they would do that if I was female.

I also know there are a lot of places I can adver. because I'm female.

But I think there are a lot of females online because there husbands work out of the house, they have to stay home with the kids, so they use that time and start up there own business.
Moondancer
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Still Waters"]
aaron wrote:
... I'm actually putting together an article on the melaleuca mlm business, which I hope will help in the effort to educate people about this issue. I've found the emotional pressure and manipulation of mlm recruiters to be insidious.

I'll be interested in reading that article Still Waters.. I mod on another board where there are lots of ads for that MLM and there's a lot of jostling to try to keep their individual posts on top. KInd of makes me sad to see. They have so many different 'names' they operate under.. I'd also be interested in the final count of those if you manage to get that info, too.
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll post back here, to let you know the URL after I finish writing it. Indeed, it's sad to see people invest their time, money, and hopes into an endeavor that's essentially doomed from the outset.
Moondancer
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you on that one.. it's sad to see for sure.. i see the jostling for position on the one forum and sometimes i'll read the posts, but it's just really sad to see as you said.

Thanks SW
accala
PA
PA

42 ants

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: women in business Reply with quote

I am in the process of starting up a new business which is 100% B2B sales- to mostly men. I am finding it hard to counteract the stereo types that the older men have of younger business women.
I am 23, and find that mostly they are patronising, thinking i am the sales rep or nice to me and then invite me out for a drink. Hmmmm. Bit annoying but there are plus sides, many do actually sign up to my website and are nicer to me than skeptical women can be.
Also another good point about being a female in business is the free press coverage you can attract, i have found that business sections in local papers are running my press releases with the 'young female in business'spin.
Anyway, i must admit it seems to be more difficult being a woman in business, but i guess it makes it more of a challenge to become successful. Smile Good luck other young women in business! x

Plus, latest news and local features posted every day- post your comments on each article! Have your say on www.accala.com
overweightnomore
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Women starting businesses more and more Reply with quote

aaron wrote:
The role of entrepreneur has traditionally been a male one and statistically more men than women still choose to start their own business. However, increasing numbers of women are deciding to go it alone and the gender gap is narrowing every year.

Why do you think this is so? Is it merely changing times or is it because the internet is opening-up entrepreneurship to people that might previously have been unable to run a 9-5 business?

Aaron

It is both. However, the internet is a great tool for women starting their own businesses, especially for moms staying at home. There are many advantages for running a home internet business. Is not easy because having a website does not guarantee thousand of visitors will just come. The website is the first step, second is to promote the business to attract customers from a selected niche marketing.
catherine
PA
PA

25 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more woman have been inspired by other successful business women, such as Anita Roddick.

Many women seem to set up in business, so that they can be stay at home mum's, and that can be tough. I visited one board, and as one of the other posters on here mentioned, it was full of women who were doing MLM, which is sad.

For me, personally, I suppose it is about being in control, and feeling more secure. If I worked for someone else, I would be reliant on them to keep me in a job. This way, I am just reliant upon myself. Also, the financial rewards would be nowhere near as good, if I had a job.
Creative Mind
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron wrote:
Is it merely changing times or is it because the internet is opening-up entrepreneurship to people that might previously have been unable to run a 9-5 business?

Hi Aaron.

I think it's a combination of the two, to be honest. When I was at school, computers were still mostly a male-orientated thing, although it was beginning to change even then. But there are young women reaching working age now that have used computers most of their lives and it's second nature.

And the internet has been demystified for a large majority of older people, both male and female, opening up entrepreneurship across the board.

Sadly though, there are women out there that still believe all they can do is flog stuff on eBay or sell Tuperware. Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it is what many women consider when they think of going into business and I reckon it's a mind-set that needs changing

catherine wrote:
I visited one board, and as one of the other posters on here mentioned, it was full of women who were doing MLM, which is sad.

Exactly.

Creative Mind Web Design
figurewizard
Executive PA
Executive PA

104 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accala mentions that for a woman in business the difficulty is of 'counteracting the stereotype'. I'm sure that an attractive young woman may run up against this sort of thing once in a while but the fact is that such a reaction is more often simply another way of saying no.

Women in business are no longer a novelty and many more are starting up. Some are going to develop very successful businesses, not because of or despite the fact that they are women but because they have got what their buyers want at a price they can afford. On my own site more than 40% of the registered users are women.

Joe
elevatingyourbusiness
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: boy have things changed! Reply with quote

The latest data confirms that between 1992 and 2004, privately-held, women-owned firms without employees are growing at twice the rate of all U.S. non-employer firms (18 percent vs. 9 percent). According to a new study titled Women-Owned Firms Doing Business Without Employees: A Growing Economic Force released by the Center of Women's Business Research and underwritten by Wells Fargo, these firms represent one-third of all privately- held U.S. firms without employees and account for one fifth of all sales in the same category.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/banking-financial-services/20060202/SFTH02602022006-1.html

We help SMBs earn more, market smarter and only do the work they enjoy! It starts with More Business eNewsletter available at http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Women in Business Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum