AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

business leadership books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awal622
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: business leadership books Reply with quote

Hi everybody. I'm the manager in a small to medium sized business and I've been thinking about purchasing some literature about leadership styles and skills. Would anyone like to share some recommendations on their favorite titles? Thank you!
NetDreamer
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader by John C. Maxwell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

I know that this is not exactly a business book, but what's written still resonates today. It's a great book to read if you have chance ...
awal622
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NetDreamer wrote:
The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader by John C. Maxwell

I've heard that one mentioned before so maybe I'll check it out. I recently read Corporate Canaries and found it to be an excellent piece of literature. Do you happen to know that one?
barry.varley@acutest.com
Secretary
Secretary

24 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Leadership Reply with quote

If its leadership, I'd recommend The Leadership Challenge by Kouzes and Posner.
awal622
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, anything in particular you feel that you pulled away from your recommendation? Just wondering, thanks Smile
barry.varley@acutest.com
Secretary
Secretary

24 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Performance and leadership Reply with quote

Well the quick answer is a load of reasons.

But a bit more detail is that it gave a structure to what is required of a leader without any reference to management. For example, one of the key requirements of a leader is to challenge the process - which often requires courage as well as insight. It is more than testing if your performance is appropriate - it's experimenting and innovating and both these activities involve risk and failure.

It's easy to read and has a wealth of examples. I'd recoomend you browse through it at a bookshop to test if the style of writing suits you. And if so, get a copy!
tinmand
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you find any book by John Adair look at it before you buy, but he is one of the leading bodies on leadership.

I own 'How to Grow Leaders' and it is excellent
awal622
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Performance and leadership Reply with quote

Barry Varley wrote:
Well the quick answer is a load of reasons.

But a bit more detail is that it gave a structure to what is required of a leader without any reference to management. For example, one of the key requirements of a leader is to challenge the process - which often requires courage as well as insight. It is more than testing if your performance is appropriate - it's experimenting and innovating and both these activities involve risk and failure.

It's easy to read and has a wealth of examples. I'd recoomend you browse through it at a bookshop to test if the style of writing suits you. And if so, get a copy!

Ah well thanks for your insight! Have you read Corporate Canaries and if so what did you think of it?
jfslenes
Executive
Executive

193 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Costco and Biller CDs Reply with quote

Our local Costco had a super value on a 14 CD set specifically about leadership. It is a compendium of several different speakers/coaches with a bonus DVD by Zig Ziglar. Cost was about $30 US.

Another possibility is Tracy Biller's CDs and web site. Although his focus is NWM/MLM, some of his concepts and topics might be useful to your leadership search.
Orceserrano
PA
PA

43 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive Woodwards autobiography has been a real source of inspiration for me. Not a business book as such but full of alternative method and different ways of thinking and implementation. Its one of those books you can read over and over again as your business develops and continualy gain new ideas. A good one to refer to at any time.
jaggiegill
Executive
Executive

336 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: The best business mindset book ever! Reply with quote

My favorite book that has to do with business and millionaire mindset is Secrets of a Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker. it won the New York Times Bestseller award and the National Bestseller award.I have personally read it, thats why I recommend it to all online and offline business owners. The link to this book is http://www.millionairemindbook.com/

Write That Report: Discover The Secrets To Instant Cash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
victorianixon
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info sounds good. I appreciate with that.

<attempt at spammy link removed>
KateB
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leading Change by John Kotter can be a nice choice.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Small Businesses Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum