AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bogus universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xs2college
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: bogus universities Reply with quote

There are more than 300 unaccredited universities now operating. More than thirty bogus universities sell online degrees in the United States alone.

A degree is one of the most important and expensive money investments people will have to make in their lifetime.

Make sure u come up with accredited college.

Best of Luck.
message4love
Secretary
Secretary

30 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it legal to do so in US ?

If it is illegal, why do the US government without any action ?
bluelight
Vice President
Vice President

431 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across some of these fake colleges a few years ago. They were selling college degrees for any career. They cost about $2,000 per degree ...even would give you a class list of grades and degree. I understand they were shipped out of UK..not really sure of that. The US is searching for these companies and it is illegal my all means. Many states have done lots of close down these sites but they keep poping up under a new name. Larry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

message4love wrote:
Is it legal to do so in US ?

If it is illegal, why do the US government without any action ?

Some countries, e.g., Australia have clear rules and regulations on this. US does not. Also I don't think it's illegal to award a degree in US, although real degree is generally accredited by an accreditation body recognized by US Department of Education.
24Hours
Vice President
Vice President

588 ants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Unfortunately, there are people not really into or appreciating a quality education enough, or able to pay the normal costs, so they have a market. I also think their proliferation speaks, in part, to the willingness of people to take the "fast & easy" way to that degree or certification.

- Frank
SandyH
PA
PA

35 ants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else being bombarded in their e-mail box with offers of a degree. I'm receiving on average about 20 a day at the moment! Does that make me special!!
kiranganta
Secretary
Secretary

31 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Everyone should careful on this issue Reply with quote

somany bogus universities are operating everyone should careful.
jolisa46
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: bogus univercity Reply with quote

Now a days bogus universities are opening every where They plays with, students life and money. All should have to be careful about this .some time i am thinking why goverment is not taking any action on this illegal universites .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
jolisa46
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1980s I used to work for the British Council, and I was the contact for Bogus educational establishments - not just universities. We called them 'SODS' - schools of doubtful standing. It was a small part of my job to track these places down, check them out and provide legal advice to enquirers from around the world regarding qualifications from them.

The way that most of these places work is that they offer to take into account 'Work or life experience'. This is reasonably sensible, and it's what universities will do anyway, so it's not always easy to tell the difference at that point. They would come up with sensible sounding names - Somerset University for example. Next, they would require students to provide written work - a thesis for example - sometimes quite long ones up to 30-50,000 words. Doubtless these went straight into the bin, though the students were not to know that. Important to mention this, because one criticism is that students should somehow 'know' they're buying a worthless piece of paper - this isn't the case.

Some of these universities produced very official looking prospectuses, photographs of impressive buildings that they had a back room in, or of universities like Oxford if they'd rented a room for an afternoon - 'we use Oxford University as one of the locations for our seminars' etc.

This scam has been going on since the 1970s at least, and I see no signs of it stopping.
annadelfin2012
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this post! It really helps.
Most of the hired people on the internet are promoting their fake business to get some money. They dont care if they are doing bad. What important to them is to have money using bogus universities.
remcon
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogus universities are not the only useless educational institutions. Personally, I distrust any private college or university that owned and or finacned by churches or religious groups. Certainly, there are many renowned institutions that are affiliated with curches, but especially in the American South there are many private institutions where sciene is interpreted rather loosely...
it's a sad reality, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Education & Training Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum